Since the last blog post, I’ve had my right hip replaced, resulting in a lung clot and bleeding that required four units of blood and a stay in ICU. Recently, I finally had that pesky tricuspid valve replaced and developed pneumonia while in the hospital. I was intubated several times. Because intubation can be damaging to the esophagus, the surgeon cut a tracheostomy in my throat. Apparently, I was very bad post surgery, trying to karate my way out of ICU, and pulling out various gadgets attached to me. One doctor told me they took care of this behavior with some good drugs! 

I was in INOVA Fairfax Heart and Vascular Center! First in ICU and then Telemetry. The nurses were so very good at their jobs and friendly, too. But since I had a trach, I couldn’t eat or drink food or water. I was fed “food” (formula for adults),crushed meds, and water through an NG tube, This was the hardest part of my hospital stay. People always malign hospital food, but INOVA’s is very good! I was bereft. After a couple of weeks I texted our clergy at Christ Church in Old Town Alexandria and told them I had hit a wall. I had a visit from one, and a phone conversation with the Rector. Just feeling their care and love made me feel that I could continue. Interestingly, I felt empowered to pray for the team to remove the trach so I could eat. Shortly after, the surgeon’s N.P. ordered it removed! Meals gave me some structure to my day.

There were several glitches going forward. Even though I was off oxygen during the day, the nurses saw my oxygen go down to 87 some times during the night so they put me back on oxygen while I slept. The surgeon was unhappy with them, but decided to have a sleep study done during the night. I passed the study, which meant I could go home without oxygen. 

Another glitch was that after the trach was removed, the speech therapists suggested that, since I failed the swallow test, I needed to be studied by the speech pathologist. That was done by visiting her lare to be xrayed while swallowing. I was given several different smushed foods to swallow while my neck was xrayed, then liquids. The result was that I could swallow most things, but with thin liquids I needed to turn my head to the left! The team sent an ENT to look at my cords. He came in the evening, when it was dark. He said the left side was “paralyzed”! So I was directed to see an ENT when I was discharged. (I made an appointment and the earliest I could get was at the end of February. I was discharged December 19th!)

It's now April 24th and I finally have an appointment on May 4th. I saw the ENT in February who gave me the order for vocal therapy! But now my  dear friend, Jeanne, is giving singers vocal therapy via Zoom. Which is delightful.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween, preschool style.

True self-expression

Charlie